Another list for your back-to-school consideration. This one, from the Cornerstone blog, names attitudes to NOT have:
- This is not my job.
- The kids should get this stuff right away
- What I’m asking of them is so easy
- Students should follow procedures correctly every time
- Kids who aren’t following my procedures are being disrespectful.
- It’s so obvious what they’re supposed to do.
- I don’t need to teach procedures after the first month.
I find it interesting that two of these involve “shoulds” that many teachers hold. As a wise person once told me: “It’s never helpful to should on yourself.”